(1) What is anal sex?
- Anal Intercourse – Anal intercourse is sexual activity that involves insertion of the penis or a sex toy into the anus.
- Rimming – “Rimming” is a slang expression that refers to oral stimulation of the anus. The official term for this is analingus.
- Manual Stimulation (or “Ass Play”) – Manual stimulation can include rubbing the anus externally or insertion of a finger(s)
(2) Who does it?
- Research suggests that a variety of people engage in anal sex behaviours regardless of sexual orientation.
- In a study examining the occurrence of anal sex among University students, it was suggested that approximately 25% of heterosexual students have experimented with anal sex at one point in their lives (Bladwin & Baldwin, 2000).
(3) Are there health concerns?
- Unprotected anal intercourse is considered a high-risk activity for both males and females. People who have unprotected anal intercourse are at high risk for many sexually transmitted infections. Condom use during anal sex is a must (this includes anal oral sex or analingus)!
- The anus is very tight and requires the use of lube. A lack of lubrication can lead to tears and ripping. In addition, the bacteria in stool can infect the tears and result in an infection. DO NOT GO LIGHTLY ON THE LUBE, THE WETTER THE BETTER!
- On a positive note, anal complications not related to anal sex include: irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids, fissures or tears. If you are suffering from any of these medical concerns, check with a physician before engaging in any anal sex behaviours.
(4) Does it feel good?
- The anus houses a large amount of nerve endings both inside and outside, making it very sensitive. For some people, the anus is an erogenous zone that responds VERY WELL to sexual touch and stimulation.
- The highest concentration of nerve endings is around the anal opening itself. Many people report enjoying the feelings of pressure especially when placed on the external areas of the anus.
- In men, the prostate – which is just beyond the rectal wall, a few inches in, towards the front of the body – can be a source of pleasure when massaged by a finger, an object, or a penis.
- Most people require direct genital stimulation in order to climax. However, a minority of men and women can achieve orgasm from anal sex without direct genital stimulation.